Pav Bhaji is a popular street food from the Indian state of Maharashtra, specifically from the city of Mumbai. This dish is a perfect blend of carbs and protein, making it a complete and satisfying meal. The main ingredient of Pav Bhaji is a spicy vegetable curry, served with soft and fluffy dinner rolls or pav, which is also known as pav.
Discovering the Delicious World of Pav Bhaji: A Traditional Indian Street Food
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of sliced onions
- 1 cup of sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup of sliced capsicum (bell peppers)
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 1 cup of sliced cabbage
- 1/2 cup of green peas
- 2 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp of red chili powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 8-10 dinner rolls or pav
- Lemon wedges and chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- In a large pot, add the water and all the sliced vegetables – onions, tomatoes, capsicum, carrots, cabbage, and green peas. After bringing the mixture to a boil, turn the heat down to medium-low.Cover and let the vegetables cook for about 15-20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and salt to taste. Mix well and let the curry simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the cooked vegetables to a smooth consistency. This is the bhaji part of the Pav Bhaji.
- In a pan, melt the butter and add the pav or dinner rolls. Fry them till crispy and golden
- To serve, take a pav or dinner roll, cut it in half and dip it in the bhaji. Place it on a plate and garnish with lemon wedges and chopped coriander leaves.
Pav Bhaji is a versatile dish, and you can add or subtract any vegetables of your choice. To save time, it can alternatively be prepared in a pressure cooker. A popular variation of this dish is Cheese Pav Bhaji, where grated cheese is added to the bhaji before serving. It’s a perfect comfort food, and it’s easy to make at home. So, it’s a must-try for all street food lovers.